SONEms

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

110330 [INTERVIEW] Jessica and designer Son Jungwan

Jessica Jung (제시카)
    Jessica Jung (제시카)
    Moderators
    Moderators

110330 [INTERVIEW] Jessica and designer Son Jungwan Empty 110330 [INTERVIEW] Jessica and designer Son Jungwan

Post by Jessica Jung (제시카) 2011-03-31, 01:51

Lady, to woman.... woman, to maestro

"I shouted out as soon as I saw her. I don't want to be remembered as just cute idol. Find me characteristics that I didn't know that I had myself."
    "Lady who just appeared in front of me....her sophisticated youth, elegant look inspired me from deep inside."

I was hungry, impatient, and needed someone. Then, meeting between Son Jungwan and Girls' Generation Jessica - "Designer and muse' the second story.

"I was hungry for challenge. I was needlessly impatient for thinking that I shouldn't settle for current success. I needed young muse that need to move me, and then I met Jessica. As soon as I saw her, I thought 'Ah, she can inspire me'.(Son Jungwan)

"I was the one who found her first. 3~4 years ago, I was avaricious wanting to get out of image as cute idol singer. I remember what I shouted as soon as I saw her. 'Help me find me characteristics that I didn't know that I had myself!'" (Jessica)

[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]

Designer Son Jungwan(52) and idol group Girls' Generation member Jessica(22, Jung Sooyeon), met for first time 4 years ago. The relationship started when Jessica came to Son's fashion show and greeted. At then, they didn't know each other.
    They met at perfect timing unexpectedly, in a way that they both wanted to break out of the barrier of desires they had. Like that, they just had brief greetings and had its turning point.

Designer and muse dreaming of evolution

The first question that was directed at them was about 'change'.

-They said they both have new turning point.

Son: I came back after finishing a show at Lincoln Center in New York on Feb. 17th. I got on the New york fashion week stage for first time in 24 years since debut. Out of 147 designers who were on the show, I was one of the 15 people whom youtube broadcasted live. Actor Allen Rickman, Singer Aubrey O'Day came to watch the show. I was full of joy when I saw 450 seats and standing seat all filled.

Jessica: I'm in the recording room day and night to prepare for new album in Japan that will be out in early April. I was busy taking album pictures. If I had time, I wanted to go to her New York show....

-Do you remember the first time you met each other?

Son: We greeted in fashion show stage. When people think of idol singers, most just think of cute image. I did too. But Jessica looked a little different. She greeted me in sincerely and her attitude had elegance. Should I say I saw sophisticated youth, and elegance look?

Jessica: I greeted her nervously because she was a designer I always looked up to. She took it cheerfully and I became relieved right away. So I asked her right away which cloth she liked out of all her work.

-When did you start dreaming about change through each other?

Son: From last year, I always thought of wanting to debut in New York. But it's been 20 years which I didn't.
    I'm a successful designer in Korea. But I wanted to go on new stage with more powerful piece. Then, Jessica's joke gave me great idea, when she said 'When you sketch, I think you will be successful in New York if you make cloth for people of my generation'. As soon as I heard that, I thought 'She is right'. I grabbed a pen right away and started planning ideas for New York collection.

Jessica: I think I changed my style from couple years ago by looking at her collection. Because of barrier that I was 'Sonyuh singer'(sonyuh means lady), I always got on stage wearing cute clothes, and didn't wear skirts that much thinking that I might look old.
    But after I started musicals and debuting in Japan, I restarted the thought that 'I need to be different'. Then, her collection was big influence on me. I changed my style to more romantic and mature clothing.

-Son, uniting two different charms

-Did the cloth Jessica wore today come from this background?

Son: Yes. It's mysterious colored silk dress that is neither gold nor gray. I wanted to make cloth that gave satisfactory feel without any exposure. It was a cloth that I put out for New York collection stage, but was also for Jessica.

Jessica: I love it. I think others will say this is the first time seeing this side of me. When I looked through this New York show lookbook, should I say it was a combination of material that people think it wouldn't be suitable? It was mysterious and complex feelings.

Son: How did she know? It's actually complex and messy when I mix materials such as beads, knit, silk, leather, and milk. I wanted to mix these and produce creative cloth never seen before. It's a cloth that looks like a child, but when you look again, it produces full of maturity, innocence, and has smoothing appeal, like Jessica (laughs).

-Jessica, becoming a woman

-I hear Jessica specifically ordered cloth from designer Son.

Jessica: I always order. I asked her to make many clothes for people who aren't so tall like me(164cm)(laughs). But surprisingly, she offered me long dress, like skirt that I wore in last year's Seoul fashion week. Before that, I didn't wear much because I didn't have much courage. But when I wore it, I looked much more slim, and more feminine. These days, I'm taking her advice trying to wear boot cut trousers.

Son: Since I went to New York after getting influenced by Jessica, I think it's her turn to start a new adventure. I think it's fine to try 1970's fashion in Japanese stage. It's okay to give voluptuous feel, and I'm thinking about going to New York stage again in autumn, with new set of mind.

Jessica: I found change in myself because of her. Should I say evolving into a singer with creating a style for myself rather than passive idol? I'm happy to get that chance. Because endless change means youth.

Translated by 오이사랑싴@soshified.com
    Source: Chosun

Current date/time is 2024-05-20, 06:12